Soft tissues are the structures in the body that connect, support, and move the bones and joints. Soft tissue injuries are the most common injuries in active people and usually occur as a result of trauma or injury or as a result of overuse.
The most common symptoms are pain, swelling, and bruising. Bruising can be a sign of a more significant injury (such as a tendon or ligament rupture).
The most common soft tissues involved in injury are:
- Ligaments – strong supporting tissue that connects bone to bone.
- Muscles – muscles are made up of fibers that contract and lengthen to produce or control the movement of joints.
- Tendons – the part of the muscle that connects to bone. made up of collagen and elastic fibers.
Soft tissue treatment involves the assessment and treatment of any soft tissue injury that is causing pain or abnormal function. Soft tissues include ligaments, tendons, muscles, and fascia.
Soft tissue treatments promote a number of benefits:
- Reduced pain
- Increased range of movement
- Increased soft tissue length
- Reduced swelling
- Increased muscle strength
- Increased mobility
- Accelerated healing process
- Greater functional ability
- Reduced risk of re-injury
- Faster recovery from injury
Depending on your symptoms the physiotherapists at Bodytone may use a number of soft tissue treatments, such as:
- Myofascial release
- Trigger points
- Deep transverse frictions
- Heat therapy
- Cold Therapy/ Cryotherapy
- Stretching exercises