It is very common for women to experience lower back pain during or following pregnancy due to the increased stress placed on joints, ligaments, and muscles in the lower back area.
There are many symptoms associated with lower back pain:
- Pain while standing for a long period of time
- Pain while twisting and turning
- Difficulty going up and down the stairs
- Stiffness in surrounding joints
- Tightness in muscles in the area
Physiotherapy is very effective at managing lower back pain. Pregnancy-related lower back pain may greatly impact day-to-day activities and can create difficulties in walking and therefore it is important to begin physiotherapy as early as possible to avoid longer-term complications.
Your Bodytone physiotherapist will perform a full assessment of your condition and devise an appropriate treatment plan.
This may include techniques such as:
- Mobilisations on any stiff joints such as the sacroiliac (SIJ), hip, or lumbar spine joints
- Heat therapy
- Postural advice
- Pelvic floor strengthening exercises
- Strengthening exercises for your core muscles
- Provision of a supporting belt
We will work with you to create an individualised program to help reduce your pain.